One Woman's Midlife Crisis...

This blog was created in order to share my experience of venturing through insanity and further into the outdoor adventures of backpacking, cycling and general merriment and well-being. First task at hand? Training for the Wine Country Century and AIDS Lifecycle.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cold-ass Weather = Sucky-ass Training

It is cold. I feel crazy for trying to start this whole training business out in the dead of winter and often wonder, while defrosting my toes, what in the hell I am thinking. At least this morning had a glorious god damn sunrise.






This morning, I rode out to Andy's in Sebastopol with my friend, Eric Acuna. I shared with him my crazy idea of wrapping my toes in the beaver fur that my friend, Trish Wilson had given me over the weekend. Of course, Eric laughed at me until I bragged about how my tootsies were only partially frozen after our ride.

Other than the beaver fur and shorts, jersey, helmet, etc, I layer the hell out of myself with:

*Two pair of wool socks; one pair knee-high, one pair a wee shorter
*Knee Warmers
*Arm Warmers
*Warm-ass Adidas lined, wind-proof cycling jacket
*Specialized wind-proof cycling gloves
*Wool beanie or raccoon-pelt hat
*Tights for over it all!


I was worried about the cost of all of this gear when I first set out, being as I only had some padded shorts and a cycling tank top, but I found everything for cheap at the Bike Peddler warehouse sale or on eBay. My ex-husband even gave me his old tights, some arm-warmers, a vest and a windbreaker when I told him my plan to ride The Century, which came as a pleasant surprise! My most expensive purchases were the shoes, cleats and pedals. The biggest hassle is layering up in spandex in the morning and trying to walk to the restroom at Andy's in my geeky shoes.

1 comment:

  1. did you finally kill a raccoon and make that hat yourself?! I'm super impressed (with the biking and comittment, not the hat) xoxo

    ReplyDelete